The Institute of Geology and Geophysics, CAS, was created in June 1999 by the merging of two separate CAS institutes, the Institute of Geology and the Institute of Geophysics. Before the integration, both institutes had long histories and their great achievements in science and research had given them a both strong reputations in academic circles at home and abroad.
Geology and Geophysics are two branches of Earth sciences, the earliest natural science subject led in China. Therefore the Institutes of Geology and Geophysics had close relations throughout their long-term development.
The origin of the Institute of Geology can be traced back to 1928 when the Institute was founded in Shanghai, under the directorship of Li Siguang. This Institute was home to many pioneering Chinese geologists, including Hou Defeng, Yin Zanxun, Zhang Wenyou, Ye Lianjun and Liu Dongsheng.
The origin of the Institute of Geophysics can be traced back to 1913 when the Institute of the Geological Survey, under the Bureau of Industry and Commerce, was founded in Beiping (now Beijing). The Geophysics division of this Institute originally focused on research on meteorology and seismology and was separated into two institutes in 1950.
The original Institute of Geology:
1928 The Institute of Geology, Shanghai, founded
1951 The Institute of Geology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, founded
1960 Branch of Lanzhou Institute, Chinese Academy of Sciences, founded
1966 Branch of Guiyang Geochemistry Institute, Chinese Academy of Sciences, founded
1978 Branch of the Institute of Geology, China Earthquake Administration, founded
1985 Key Laboratory of Engineering Geomechanics, Chinese Academy of Science, founded
1990 Key Laboratory of Lithospheric Evolution founded
1997 Geological environment Research Center founded, Mineral Resources Research Center founded, Slope Engineering Research Center founded
1999 Integrated with the Institute of Geophysics
The original Institute of Geophysics:
1928 The Institute of Meteorology, Shanghai, founded
1950 Chinese Academy of Sciences took over 24 institutes, the Institute of Geophysics founded
1954 The Institute of Geophysics moved to Beijing
1959 Branch of the Lanzhou Institute of Geophysics founded
1966 Divided into five Institutes: Institute of Geophysics, Institute of Atmospheric Physics, Institute of Applied Geophysics, Lanzhou Institute of Geophysics and Kunming Institute of Geophysics
1972 Taken over by China Earthquake Administration and separated from the CAS
1978 Reunited with the CAS as the Institute of Geophysics
1988 WDC-D Geophysical Data Center founded
1994 Research Center for Mineral Resource Exploration, Chinese Academy of Sciences founded
1999 Integrated with the Institute of Geology
Institute of Geology and Geophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences:
1999 Institute of Geology and Geophysics, CAS founded, with Ding Zhongli as director
2003 Academician Liu Dongsheng won National Super Scientific and Technical Prize
2004 Took over Lanzhou Institute of Geology and set up Lanzhou Research Center
2005 State key Laboratory of Lithospheric Evolution founded, with Zhu Rixiang as director
2007 Zhu Rixiang elected as director of the Institute